By Timothy Gamble
[10-28-2020 UPDATE] - According to today's update from the CDC, there have been 138,457,135 Covid-19 tests performed in the USA, so far., with about 1 million new tests performed each day. This is by far the most tests performed by any nation.
9-28-2020 There still seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding Covid-19 testing. Here are the facts:
- Covid-19 tests are not a vaccine or a cure. Taking a Covid-19 test does not protect you from the virus. If you test negative for Covid-19, you may still get the virus in the future.
- Covid-19 tests allow doctors to determine if you have Covid-19, and allows health care officials to track the spread and movement of the disease.
- According to the Centers of Disease Control (CDC), over 100 million Americans have already been tested for Covid-19 (101,298, 794 as of this morning's update). This is almost 1/3 of the population of the United States.
- The CDC does NOT recommend that everyone get tested. In fact, it is unhelpful for most healthy individuals without exposure risk to get tested. There is an official CDC Covid-19 Screening Tool to help you determine if you should be tested. You can access the tool at https://covid19.apple.com/screening.
- If you need to be tested, Covid-19 tests are available at no cost nationwide at health centers and select pharmacies. To find a free testing location, go to https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/community-based-testing-sites/index.html. Appointments may be required.
- There is currently a minor shortage of the chemical used in Covid-19 tests, but tests are still being manufactured and available nationwide. This shortage has caused a 13% national decline in testing from the peak, as some faculties are restricting tests to only those showing symptoms, or having known exposure, or in high risk groups.
- A Rapid Test, giving results in under 13 minutes, has already been developed and is available at many locations nationwide. Only certain individuals need or should have a Rapid Test. A health care provider will determine your need.
- There are NO home-based self-testing kits for Covid-19.
Top 10 States for Covid-19 Testing
- California 14,333,498 (approx. 36% of the population)
- New York 10,508,186 (approx. 54% of the population)
- Texas 6,016,907 (approx. 22% of the population)
- Illinois 5,481,999 (approx. 42% of the population)
- Florida 5,253,441 (approx. 25% of the population)
- Massachusetts 3,881,846 (approx. 56% of the population)
- Michigan 3,543,057 (approx. 36% of the population)
- New Jersey 3,513,266 (approx. 40% of the population)
- Ohio 3,071,187 (approx. 26% of the population)
- North Carolina 2,978,728 tests (approx. 29% of the population)
For Official Covid-19 Information: