Modern Survival Situations:
- Identity Theft
- Cyber Threats
- Violent Crime
- Active Shooter Situations
- Civil Unrest, including Riots & Looting
- Epidemics & Pandemics
- Recession, Job Loss, High Inflation, and Economic Turmoil
- Loss of Freedoms & Privacy (via political correctness, "hate speech" laws, Big Tech censorship & data mining, etc.).
- Political Turmoil & Police State Actions
Modern Survival Skills
Modern survival starts with awareness of potential problems and developing self-reliance (my recent article, The Two Keys to Preparedness, is on this subject). Awareness requires us to take an honest look at the dangers of the world around us, and not just adopt the idea that "nothing really bad will ever happen, and even if it does, that is why we have a government," an attitude so common among most Americans today.
Self-reliance is an attitude of responsibility and accountability. It is up to us to take care of ourselves and our families - not society, the government, public schools, or any other "authorities." It is our duty to watch out for life's potential pitfalls, and to take proactive steps ahead of time to prevent or survive those pitfalls.
Speaking of awareness: although its been out for ten years now, Fernando Aguirre's book The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse is based on the realities that happened during Argentina's economic collapse in the early 2000s, and offers many clues as to what may happen in America at some point. In it you won't find tips on finding wild edibles, but will learn pointers such as why safe-deposit boxes may not be a good idea. After the banks reopened in Argentina, customers found that their safe deposit boxes had been cleared out of valuables by the government and/or corrupt bank management - and the contents of safe deposit boxes are NOT insured in Argentina, or in America for that matter. If you haven't read his book, I highly recommend you read it. If you have read it, it will be a good idea to go back and re-read it.
Building on the foundation of awareness and self-reliance, there are many other useful skills for modern survival scenarios:
- Situational Awareness & OODA Loop
- Operational Security/Privacy Protection
- Dealing with busybody neighbors, landlords, etc.
- Dealing with an Intrusive Government
- Local Knowledge (knowing your area)
- Being the Gray Man (fitting in and going unnoticed)
- Making yourself an unappealing target for bad guys (know how to not look like a victim)
- Money Management & Personal Finance Skills (article and article and article)
- Computer Skills (particularly knowing the online risks you face and how to protect against those risks)
- Self-Defense Skills (more than just guns & ammo)
- Knowing what to do in an active shooter situation
- Knowing what to do if you get caught in a civil unrest or riot situation
- First Aid (particularly dealing with gunshot wounds and other severe trauma)
- Survival Medicine (dealing with disease outbreaks, etc.)
- Employability (Fifteen Commandments of Keeping Your Job and What To Do Before Losing Your Job)
- Health & Fitness (a must for any survival situation)
- How To Not Panic In An Emergency
Please subscribe to this website using the Follow By Email field at the bottom of the right hand column.
Follow me on USA.Life at https://usa.life/TimGamble
Follow me on GAB at https://gab.ai/TimGamble
Follow me on Minds at https://www.minds.com/TimGamble
Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/TimGamble