It took a long time, over 100 years, but they (will discuss who "they" are in a future article), simply took out our four foundations. They slowly, but effectively, took away our spiritual foundation - the Judeo-Christian beliefs, values, and worldview upon which Western Civilization arose, and upon which America was founded. They destroyed our foundation of traditional family life - first decreasing & eliminating the role of men, then turning the role of parents over to government schools & regulations, and finally destroying the traditional definition of marriage altogether.
They destroyed our intellectual foundation - for generations now public schools have taught little more than leftist propaganda, rather than real history, real economics, and real civics. Finally, they destroyed our foundation of self-reliance - turning the average person into little more than a government slave, with a massive sense of entitlement, and little or no self-initiative or sense of self-responsibility.
There's not much as individuals we can do to restore those foundations for society as a whole, but here are a few ideas that may help us to begin to rebuild those foundations for ourselves and our families:
Rebuild Our Spiritual Foundations
- Pray - "Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving." -- Colossians 4:2 (ESV). By the way, I post a weekly Patriots' Prayer you may be interested in.
- Read the Bible. You probably already have one - its that dusty book on the shelf that's covered with cobwebs. Don't know where to start? For modern readers, I suggest the Gospel of Mark. Its short, fast-paced, and action-packed.
- Go to Church - If you're already attending one, great! If not, then find a good, Bible-believing church in your area, and go.
- Invite a Friend or Neighbor to Go to Church with You. - In a recent poll, a large percentage of the un-churched said they would go if someone invited them. Invite them.
- Not Sure About God? - Talk to a pastor or priest about your doubts. Or read a good book on apologetics - Josh McDowell has several excellent books you may find useful. A classic recommendation is C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity.
- Not Sure About Religion? - I get it. Atheists and the Left have for decades been attacking organized religion. And pop culture has long ridiculed it, so its not surprising many folks have doubts about religion. There are a few exceptions - it is made up of humans, after all - but overall religion has had a wonderful and beneficial effect on civilization. Read Dinesh D'Souza's What's So Great about Christianity? Read the article Defending the Faith: How religious faith benefits society by Dr. Daniel Peterson. Read the article How Christianity Shaped Western Civilization by Dr. Andrew Stebbin.
- Not Sure About Religion in a Scientific Era? I suggest reading In the Beginning: Compelling Evidence for Creation and the Flood.
Rebuild Our Family Foundations
- Turn off the TV, and spend time together as a family. Try talking.
- Men, be real men. Biblical men. Not wimps. Not metro-sexuals. Not pajama boys. Not post-modern feminized men. But Biblical men. And raise your sons to be biblical men, too. Realize that boys are NOT merely broken girls. Realize that masculinity is good and necessary, not an undesirable evil as it is often portrayed. Here are a few resources:
- Designate one night a week as Family Night. No TV. No video games. No phones. No Internet. Just family.
- Go to Church as a family.
- Pray together as a family. Maybe pray daily?
- Have a family Bible study. Maybe your pastor or church has some resources to help you with a family Bible study.
- Go for a family walk.
- Go for a family picnic.
- Have a family game night.
- Spend an afternoon together playing at the local mini-golf course.
- Take a hike together at a nearby park or greenway.
- Reach out to an estranged family member, even at the risk of rejection.
Rebuild Our Intellectual Foundations
- Study Real History, Real Economics, and Real History. Not the propaganda they teach in schools, but from a traditional perspective that is pro-Liberty, pro-Capitalism/Free Markets, pro-Religion, and pro-Natural Rights.
- Read the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. They definitely don't want you to do this. You can find the text of The Constitution and the Bill of Rights on this website, or buy a pocket copy of the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and Declaration of Independence for only a $1.50 on Amazon.
- Check out the #HistoryHub section of my website. You will find the text of over 40 primary historical documents, plus many other secondary sources, history lessons and book reviews, to aid your study of history.
- Check out my Real History Book list for history books without leftist ideology or political correctness.
- Hillsdale College has numerous college-level courses online for free that you can register to take, including courses on the Constitution, History, Economics, and Public Policy, among others. All courses are from a traditional pro-Constitution, pro-Capitalism, and pro-Liberty point of view.
- The Mises Institute website has lots of articles on economics from a pro-Capitalism and pro-Liberty perspective.
- The Learn Liberty website has many short videos on various topics, all from pro-liberty standpoint.
- Whatever Happened to Penny Candy, by Richard Maybury, is a short (190 pages), easy-to-read (aimed at high school level), and interesting (written as a series of letters from an uncle to his nephew), this is the perfect book for someone wanting to learn about real economics, but finds most economic books intimidating or boring.
- See my Economic Education Resources page for a list of other resources for learning real economics.
Rebuild Our Foundation of Self-Reliance
Self-Reliance is a mindset, an attitude, of taking responsibility for our own lives, rather than looking to the government, our parents, or society at large to help us have stable and successful lives. It is also something that has be intentionally erased from large portions of the American people through generations of public education and government dependence. Here are three articles I've written to introduce and explain the concept of self-reliance:
- What is Self-Reliance?
- Self-Reliance Mindset: Gain Knowledge. Learn Skills. Take Responsibility.
- Three Foundations of Self-Reliance
Follow Tim Gamble on Twitter at http://twitter.com/TimGamble
Like TimGamble.com on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/TimGambleWebsite.